Steve Shattuck is a partner in the Dallas office of Holden Litigation and primarily practices in the areas of insurance coverage analysis, appellate law, and insurance defense. He received his undergraduate degree in English at the University of Kansas and later received his Juris Doctorate at the same university. He has 30 years of experience in the practice area of insurance coverage law, with experience in all lines of coverage, personal, and commercial. He has also successfully handled a number of complex declaratory judgments and first party insurance coverage disputes during that time.
Before joining Holden Litigation, Steve practiced with several small and medium sized insurance defense law firms. In addition to insurance coverage disputes, he has extensive experience in handling personal injury and property damage litigation and has significant appellate law background as well.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Insurance Litigation
- Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Litigation
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Products Liability
- Premise Liability
- Consumer Law
- Appellate Practice
- Contractual Liability Issues, IAIP-DFW Meeting, Dallas, Texas, August 8, 2013.
- Venue and Jurisdiction in Uninsured Motorist Litigation, NBI Seminar, Fort Worth, Texas, January 18, 2013.
- Litigating the Duty to Indemnify, 19th Annual Cooper & Scully Insurance Symposium, March 30, 2012.
- Affirmative and Defensive Pleadings in Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation, 18th Annual Cooper & Scully Insurance Symposium, April 1, 2011.
- Trial Strategies for Chapter 542 Cases, 17th Annual Cooper & Scully Insurance Symposium, April 23, 2010.
- Theories of Waiver and Estoppel in the Duty to Defend, 16th Annual Cooper & Scully Insurance Symposium, April 3, 2009.
- Update on Section 541, 15th Annual Cooper & Scully Insurance Symposium, March 28, 2008.
- "Application of the 'Other Insurance' Clause in Uninsured Motorist Coverage," Published in Texas Insurance Law Journal, May, 1996.
- "Collateral Estoppel: A Bar to 'Follow Form' Excess Carriers?," Published in Coverage, Volume 4, Number 5, September/October, 1994.
- "The CGL Professional Services Exclusion versus the Professional Liability Policy," Published in CGL Reporter, Spring, 1994.
- "Coverage for Faulty Workmanship: A Comparison of Policies;" Published in Texas Insurance Law Journal, Volume 1, Number 3, 1992.
- "Sufficiency of Loss Notice: the Emerging Requirements of Prejudice:" Published in The Risk Report, June 1992.
- "Successor Liability;" Published in The Risk Report, October 1991.