Laura J. Grabouski is a native Texan who grew up in San Antonio. She graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1998 and the University of Texas School of Law in 2001. She clerked on the Third Court of Appeals in Austin before joining the commercial litigation section of Hughes & Luce (now K&L Gates). Laura was asked to join an insurance coverage litigation boutique in 2002 and has continued to litigate coverage and commercial disputes throughout Texas for over eighteen years.
An English major in college, Laura loves to write. Her articles frequently appear in Coverage and The Journal of Texas Insurance Law. She also enjoys speaking on the intersection of technology and the law, cybercrime coverage, and significant new trends and cases. She has been featured as a speaker in webinars presented by AM Best and Strafford.
Laura has been AV-rated (Martindale Hubbell) since 2015. She is a member of the Texas Bar College, Women in Cyber Leadership, and CLM. She is a prior director of the Austin Bar Association Board of Directors. She has volunteered with the Austin Diocese Red Mass Committee which commemorates the start of the judicial year.
Laura is married to Jeff and has two school-age children with whom she enjoys cooking, reading, and having fun.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Bad Faith Defense
- Commercial Property Coverage Claims Disputes
- Business Interruption Coverage Disputes
- Commercial Auto and Trucking Coverage Litigation
- Commercial General Liability Coverage Disputes and Declaratory Judgment Actions
- Primary/Excess Coverage Actions
- Subrogation, Contribution, Indemnification Disputes
- Commercial Litigation
- Federal Discrimination Litigation
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance Litigation
Advertising Injury Coverage Litigation
- “Insurance Coverage for Fraudulent Email Schemes: Strategies from Insured and Insurer Perspectives,” Strafford webinar, July 10, 2019
- “How the Sharing Economy is Rewiring Claims,” A.M. Best webinar, Dec. 2018
- “Hurricane Harvey’s Impact on Insurance Claims,” A.M. Best podcast, May 2018
Honors and Awards
- AV-rated, 2015-2020, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as a “Rising Star” 2006-2010 by Law & Politics and Texas Monthly
- "Evolution of Insurance Coverage for Intellectual Property Litigation," American Bar Ass'n, Insurance Coverage, Mar., 2020 (co-author, K. Kalinich)
- “Driverless Cars are Disrupting Norms and Legal Standards,” Texas Bar J., April 1, 2019
- “Is a Consensus Developing on Computer Fraud Coverage for Email Schemes?” Coverage, American Bar Ass’n, Oct. 31, 2018
- “Menchaca, the Sequel,” Journal of Tex. Ins. Law, Aug. 2018
- “Fifth Circuit Reverses Course on Deference Afforded to Administrators in ERISA Benefit Disputes,” American Bar Ass’n, Insurance Coverage (online articles), Mar. 30, 2018
- “Are Policy Proceeds Actual Damages for Violations of the Insurance Code? The Texas Supreme Court in Menchaca says: ‘Yes-If Claim is Covered,” Journal of Tex. Ins. Law, June 2017
- “Appraisal—If, When and How—A Procedural and Practical Look from Both Sides,” University of Texas CLE, Insurance Law, Nov. 2016